What is an ILR Exchange Program?
An ILR Exchange is a study abroad opportunity with a specific ILR international partner university and is ONLY open to ILR students. ILR Exchange Programs provide a unique opportunity for ILR students to study abroad at a partner institution. Students can study for a semester or an academic year. Our partner institutions offer courses that are similar to ILR’s, which makes it possible for students to earn ILR elective credits while abroad. Exchange programs are reciprocal with ILR students going abroad and international exchange students coming to ILR, Cornell University. Currently the ILR School has student exchange programs in Australia, Italy, Spain, and the UK.
Any ILR junior or senior in good academic standing (see individual program pages for GPA requirements for each program) with all ILR core requirements completed.
Note: Students interested in the URV (Spain) Exchange Program must have basic Spanish language ability.
Courses and Credits
The course selections will be similar to ILR courses, so many of them can be applied towards ILR elective credits. This can be an important factor for transfer students.
- -Students can earn up to 15 ILR elective credits for a semester-long program.
- -Courses have to be approved for ILR elective credit.
- -Students will receive credit for academic coursework completed abroad that is equivalent to a Cornell grade of "C."
- -Students cannot take courses as Pass/Fail.
- -All courses and grades will appear on the Cornell transcript in the same format as they are recorded on the original transcript generated by the host institution.
- -Grades are not calculated in the overall GPA.
Tuition and Costs
Students on Exchange pay ILR tuition with NO additional fees (this can be a very good deal for in-state students). Room and board, books, airfare, in-country travel, visa fees, and all other personal expenses would be additional. Financial aid would apply. Students studying in Australia may apply for the Brooke and Glenn Grindlinger Australia Travel Award, a $2,500 award to cover travel costs.