Spring 2019 Calendar of Events
We plan to follow the schedule and procedures listed below in handling applications for Spring 2019 internships.
- Wednesday, September 12th — Student Internship Information Meeting — 219 Ives Hall — 5:00pm
- Thursday, September 13th — Friday, September 28th — Arrange to meet with Brigid Beachler to discuss questions, plans, etc. Sign-up sheets located on bulletin board outside of 119 Ives Hall.
- Thursday, September 20th — Mock Interview Marathon, ILR Career Services, 1:30PM-4:30PM, 201 Ives Hall
- Friday, September 21st — Mock Interview Marathon, ILR Career Services, 9:00AM-4:30PM, 201 Ives Hall
- Tuesday, October 2nd — Deadline for Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship -- The U.S. Department of State’s Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship is a grant program that enables students of limited financial means to study or intern abroad, thereby gaining skills critical to our national security and economic competitiveness. The Gilman Scholarship Program broadens the student population that studies and interns abroad by supporting undergraduates who might not otherwise participate due to financial constraints. The program aims to encourage students to study and intern in a diverse array of countries and world regions. To apply, please find the application at: https://gilmanapplication.iie.org/
- Friday, October 5th — Deadline for submission of Internship Applications for Spring 2019. Note: Some internships, because of sponsor requirements or scheduled interviews, may have a different deadline. Check bulletin board announcements posted outside of 119 Ives Hall.
- October 8-12th — Students make site selections and file requests by emailing a list of at least 5 sites they are interested in applying for with Managing Director Brigid Beachler at email@example.com or Program Coordinator Miguelina Tabar at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, October 12th - Students can review sponsor lists online using SharePoint. Please request access to Sharepoint from Brigid Beachler or Miguelina Tabar.
- Tuesday, October 10th — Walt Disney Info Session: Representatives from Walt Disney World will be on campus to provide detailed information on interning at Walt Disney — 5pm, 116 Ives Hall.
- Wednesday, October 11th — Walt Disney Interviews: Please see Brigid Beachler or Miguelina Tabar to sign up for an interview slot. Please note, Disney’s accelerated timeline will require that you submit your Credit Internship Application by Monday, October, 8th. All interviews will be in 348 & 354 Ives Hall (Conference room in the Library wing of the building).
- Wednesday, October 11th — Orientation for admitted students — 4:30pm, 116 Ives Hall. We will discuss the recruitment and interview process, professional etiquette and programmatic questions.
- Thursday, October 11th — ILR Career Fair – The 31st Annual ILR Career Fair focuses on corporate human resources, labor relations, HR consulting, and other opportunities. The Career Fair will be held in the Carrier Ballroom of the Statler Hotel from 10:00AM-3:00PM. Professional dress please.
- Monday, October 15th — Applications of students who have been approved will be forwarded to internship site sponsors with a request that they notify us within six weeks regarding their selections of students for available assignments.
- Wednesday, October 24th — Intern Mix & Mingle: Join former ILR Credit Interns for pizza & wings to discuss the internship program. Ask questions, get advice on specific internships, and hear more about the experiences of former interns. 5:00-6:30PM, 116 Ives.
- Friday, October 26th — New York State Senate Application Deadline: Please submit your online application for the NYS Senate by 5PM. The application can be found online at: www.nysenate.gov/student-programs For more information, please contact Brigid Beachler.
- Friday, November 30th — ILR Labor Roundtable – The 16th Annual ILR Labor Roundtable focuses on careers and internship opportunities in the union movement and in social justice organizations. The Roundtable will be held in the Carrier Ballroom, Statler Hotel, 1:00-5:00PM. Pre-registration required.
- Thursday, December 6th — Mandatory Orientation Session for all Spring 2019 interns, 12:00pm, 116 Ives. (Lunch provided)
The schedule established requires that students interested in internships for Spring 2019 submit applications and make choices about internship sites of interest to them early in the semester. This process will leave the last half of the semester to complete the student-site matching process and the interviews and visits often necessary to finalize decisions regarding placements. Under School policy, intern applications cannot be referred to site sponsors until they have been approved. Students who miss the application deadline will fall behind in the process and may have to settle for whatever sites are still available.
Students who apply on schedule and select five sites will still be eligible to apply for any new internships offered after October 12th provided they have not already accepted an existing intern position. Announcements of new internship opportunities will be posted on the Internship Bulletin Board outside of 119 Ives Hall and on the internship website: www.ilr.cornell.edu/creditinternships and on the Credit Internship Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ilrcreditinternship
The Catherwood Library has put together several new options for library access for off-campus ILR credit interns. More information can be found here.
Related ILR & Cornell Sites