Effective Employee Discipline
Your disciplinary decisions are subject to rigorous scrutiny. As a result, anyone involved in formulating or implementing disciplinary decisions must have command of the principles of progressive discipline as well as a solid understanding of the best practices for administering discipline. At this workshop, experienced arbitrators and labor relations professionals will provide you with practical knowledge and insight about the discipline process. You will learn how to:
- Analyze discipline problems
- Conduct disciplinary interviews
- Prepare a disciplinary memorandum
- Respond effectively and appropriately to disciplinary problems
- Define and determine just cause
- What is progressive discipline?
- Key points in handling disciplinary interviews
- An employee's right to union representation
- Guidelines for preparing warning notices
- Identifying and establishing a "past practice"
- How past practices affect the disciplinary process
- Criteria used by arbitrators in deciding discipline cases
- Guidance for handling excessive absenteeism and alcohol and drug abuse cases
- When an employer can discipline for off-duty or off-premises misconduct
Who Will Benefit
Labor relations, human resource, operations supervisors and managers involved in the administration of discipline
Open enrollment workshops can be taken individually or as part of a certificate in Contract Administration Studies or Collective Bargaining Studies. They are also available as Labor Relations Customized Programs for your organization.