Legal Issues in the Workplace (CO353)
Managers and HR practitioners are frequently exposed to employee issues that may have legal implications for their organizations. This interactive workshop focuses on the legal issues associated with day-to-day employment-related decisions and actions, with an emphasis on how they can be handled in a legally sound manner.
Using case studies, practical examples, and discussion, this workshop enables you to understand an overview of the employment laws. Relevant laws and their application are presented in the context of problems that most typically arise.
- Understanding the legal framework
- Making nondiscriminatory employment decisions
- Compliance with wage-and-hour laws
- Safety and health rights and responsibilities
- Required versus discretionary leaves of absence
- Managing employees covered by labor agreements
- Individual rights and wrongful discharge
- Preventive employment practices
- Interviewing and making selection decisions
- Managing performance: feedback, appraisal, and discipline
- Downsizing or terminating employees
- Special legal situations
- Sexual and other types of harassment
- Medical and religious accommodations
- Understanding and avoiding retaliation
- Privacy, drug, and alcohol issues
Who Will Benefit
Managers and HR practitioners who wish to receive an overview of Employment Laws; typical attendees are fairly new managers or to the field of human resources.
See more workshops on Employee Relations, Internal Investigations and Employment Law Workshops.
See more workshops on Human Resources.
See more workshops on Leadership Development.
Michele Selma Kayne, Esq.
Michele Selma Kayne, Esq., Managing Member, Kayne Legal Consulting, PLLC specializes in global employment law and litigation, employee relations, investigations and training. Ms. Kayne counsels, advises, trains and manages all aspects of employment law and workplace issues. She also has significant experience in non-compete matters, wage & hour matters, discrimination matters, workplace disputes, investigations, global privacy matters, class and collective action litigation as well as arbitration and mediation. Formally, she was in-house counsel and eDiscovery counsel to MetLife, and employment counsel to Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP, and Seward & Kissel LLP. Ms. Kayne also is principal of Simply Selma, LLC, a health coach business focused on assisting busy professionals and attorneys reach their health and wellness goals by making small lifetime adjustments to their nutrition and lifestyle.