Employee Internal Investigations: Part I (CO231)
Part I of the Employee Investigations Program
- Prerequisite: Basic knowledge of EEO and employment laws or completion of HR and the Law, The Law of EEO or Legal Issues in the Workplace.
- Upon completion of this workshop, we offer Advanced Employee Investigations: Part II.
Handling employee complaints internally is a highly sensitive, multi-faceted process that involves many people. This workshop provides you with a practice-based, step-by-step approach to enhance your understanding of:
- The internal complaint handling process from A to Z
- The legal requirements organizations must observe
- Necessary technical and communication skills
- The complaint process
- Defining the role of the complaint handler
- Comparing complaint processes
- Complaint intake
- Handling the emotional aspects of complaints
- Effective communication skills for complaint handlers
- Essential interviewing questions
- Legal concerns: EEO and employment laws, confidentiality, and no retaliation
- Structuring an investigation
- Stating the issues in terms of policy and laws
- Using information-gathering techniques
- Interviewing complainants and accused persons
- Determining when to involve an attorney
- Complaint resolution
- Identifying solutions, interventions, or resolutions
- Monitoring and following up on complaints
- Evaluating the effectiveness of the complaint process
Simulated employee complaints, including practice sessions, role play, professional critiquing, and skill pointers
Who Will Benefit
HR, ER and EEO professionals who want to gain in-depth expertise in managing the internal EEO complaint process
See more workshops on Employee Relations, Internal Investigations and Employment Law Workshops.
See more workshops on Equal Employment Opportunity.
Susan Brecher, Esq., Director of Employee Relations and Investigations at Cornell ILR’s Human Capital Develop and Executive Education programs, offers insight into how best to communicate the scope of confidentiality and the impact you can make on the employee.
Details coming soon.