People at ILR
Susan BrecherDirector, Curriculum and Training Design
Susan Brecher, currently the Director of HR Dispute Management and Resolution Certificate and Curriculum/Training Design is an employment practices attorney and expert in training and curriculum design for both online and classroom based workshops.
She has broad experience in advising, consulting, training, presenting, and developing curriculum for online and classroom, as well as working with practitioners in the areas of employment law, human resources and dispute resolution. More specifically, this includes the development and implementation of programs, human resources and dispute resolution polices, development and delivery of online and classroom training, executive, management and conflict coaching with respect to employment disputes, appropriate workplace behavior, and effective management, complaint investigation, mediation, facilitation and neutral fact-finding for public, non-profit and private organizations. Ms Brecher also developed, designed and provides training for the Human Resources online program and courses in partnership with eCornell.
During her tenure at Cornell, Ms Brecher served as a Director of Statewide Management Programs as well as oversight of all aspects of the EEO, Labor Relations, Human Resources and Management Development programs. Ms Brecher has partnered with over 100 private, public and non-profit organizations to develop and present customized training programs.
Currently, Ms Brecher is on the Board of Directors for Plays For Living a non-profit organization that uses interactive performance to create an environment for discussing workplace and social issues. Before coming to Cornell ILR, Ms. Brecher served as in-house employment Counsel at the American Broadcasting Companies and the National Broadcasting Company and was associated with the law firms Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher and Flom and Epstein, Becker and Green. Ms. Brecher has a B.A. summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, from Union College and a J.D. from Case Western Reserve University, where she was on the Law Review.
- Judith Young, Susan W Brecher. 2012. Increase in Disability Cases Means HR Must Focus on Accommodations, Job Descriptions, Bloomberg BNA Human Resources report . 30(37):1013-1014.
- Judith Young, Susan W Brecher. 2012. ADAAA: Think Outside the Silo, @work, Journal of the Disability Management and Employer Coalition . 4(2):8 - 12.
- Susan W Brecher. 2012. Preventing Sexual Harassment: Best Practices for Holding Managers and Employees Accountable, Bloomberg BNA . Volume 30(Number 3).
- Susan W Brecher. 1999. Provide Mini-Training Sessions about your Harassment Policy and Complaint Procedure, .
- Susan W Brecher. 1999. Evaluating the Complaint Handling Process, .
- Susan W Brecher. 1998. Training HR Professionals on Resolving Employee Complaints: PART III D Documentation, .
- Susan W Brecher. 1998. Training HR Professionals on Resolving Employee Complaints: PART II, .
- Susan W Brecher. 1998. Training HR Professionals on Resolving Employee Complaints or Problems, .
- Susan W Brecher. 1998. Training Managers and Employees about Company Policies, .
- Susan W Brecher. 1998. Training Managers about Investigating Employee Concerns: Part 2, .
- Susan W Brecher. 1998. Training Managers about Investigating Employee Concerns, .
- Susan W Brecher. 1997. The Selection Process: Training the Manager, .
- Susan W Brecher. 1997. Establishing Respect and Dignity in the Workplace, .
- Susan W Brecher. 1997. Training Managers About Listening to Employee Concerns, .
- Susan W Brecher. 1997. Training Managers in Disciplinary Actions, .
- Susan W Brecher. 1997. How to Conduct Effective Training For Appropriate Workplace Behaviors, .
- Susan W Brecher. 1997. Training Managers on Supervisory Skills and Responsibilities, H.R. Advisor Magazine .
- Susan W Brecher. 1996. Selecting and Training Internal Complaint Handlers, H.R. Advisor Magazine .
- Susan W Brecher. 1996. The Manager's Dilemma: Handling Confidentiality, H.R. Advisor Magazine .
- Susan W Brecher. 1994. Sample Sexual Harassment Complaint Handler's Models. New York NY, United States: Wiley, 1994. Julie M Tamminen.
- Ways to Phrase: Win‐Win Strategies for Effectively Addressing Leave and Accommodation Requests. Presented to University of St. Thomas Opus College of Business. Minneapolis, MN. 2016.
- Get it Right: Strategies for Managing Multiple Leaves and Accommodations. Presented to Disability Management and Employer Coalition. Washington, DC. 2015.
- An ounce of prevention is a pound of cure: The ADA/FMLA/Workers Compensation overlap. Presented to same as above. Atlanta, GA. 2013.
- The Interplay of ADA and FMLA. Presented to Employment and Disability Institute (EDI). Online. 2012.
- Navigating FMLA and ADA: Medical Leaves and the Interactive Process. Presented to SHRM: Society for Human Resource Management. Atlanta, Georgia . 2012.
- Navigating the Interplay of ADA and FMLA: medical Leaves and the Interactive Process. Presented to Society of Human Resource Management. Atlanta, GA. 2012.
- The Interplay between ADAAA and FMLA: Legal and Practical Implications. Presented to Disability Management and Employer Coalition. Minneapolis, MN. 2012.
- Interplay between ADAA and FMLA. Presented to DMEC: Disability Management Employer Coalition . Minneapolis . 2012.
- The Interplay Between ADAAA and FMLA. Presented to Society of Human Resource Management. Las Vegas, NV. 2011.