People at ILR
Sarah von SchraderAssistant Director of Research, Yang-Tan Institute
Sarah joined the Yang-Tan Institute on Employment and Disability, ILR School at Cornell University as a Research Associate in June 2009, and now serves as the Associate Director of Research at the Yang-Tan Institute (YTI).
Sarah’s research focuses on employer practices related to employer success in recruiting, hiring, and advancing individuals with disabilities. She has been working on a long term project using discrimination charge data from the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. In addition to these and other research projects, Sarah evaluates the process and impact of several of the programs offered by YTI.
Sarah received her doctorate in Education Measurement and Statistics from the University of Iowa in 2006 and bachelor’s degree in Mathematics from Colorado College in 1994. Prior to coming to YTI, Sarah worked in the fields of health policy and management, educational testing, and evaluation.
- Sarah von Schrader, Zafar Nazarov. 2016. Trends and Patterns in Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) Charges, Research on Aging . 38(5).
- Zafar Nazarov, Dongug Kang, Sarah von Schrader. 2015. Employment Quota System and Labor Market Outcomes of Individuals with Disabilities: Empirical Evidence from South Korea, Fiscal Studies . 36(1):99-126.
- Valerie Malzer, Sarah von Schrader. 2014. Mental Modeling: A qualitative method for mapping audience behaviors and designing social marketing initiatives, ILR Digital Commons .
- Sarah von Schrader, Xu Xu, Susanne Marie Bruyere. 2014. Accommodation requests: Who is asking for what?, Rehabilitation Research, Policy, and Education . 28(4):329-344.
- Zafar Nazarov, Sarah von Schrader. 2014. Comparison of Employer Factors in Disability and Other Employment Discrimination Charges, Rehabilitation Research, Policy, and Education . 28(4):291-308.
- William Erickson, Sarah von Schrader, Susanne Marie Bruyere, Sara Van Looy, David Matteson. 2014. Disability-Inclusive Employer Practices and Hiring of Individuals with Disabilities , Rehabilitation Research, Policy, and Education . 28(4):309-328.
- Sarah von Schrader, Valerie Malzer, Susanne Marie Bruyere. 2014. Perspectives on Disability Disclosure: The Importance of Employer Practices and Workplace Climate, Employee Responsibilities and Rights Journal . 26:237-255. (DOI:10.1007/s10672-013-9227-9)
- William Erickson, Sarah von Schrader, Susanne Marie Bruyere, Sara Van Looy. 2014. The Employment Environment: Employer perspectives, policies and practices regarding the employment of persons with disabilities, Rehabilitation Counseling Bulletin . 28(4):309-328.
- Sarah von Schrader, Zafar Nazarov. 2014. Employer Characteristics Associated with Discrimination Charges under the Americans with Disabilities Act, Journal of Disability Policy Studies .
- Zafar Nazarov, Thomas P Golden, Sarah von Schrader. 2012. Prevocational services and supported employment wages, Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation . 37(12):119-129. (DOI:10.3233/JVR-2012-0605)
- Susanne Marie Bruyere, Sarah von Schrader, Wendy Coduti, Melissa Jo Bjelland. 2010. U.S. Employment Disability Discrimination Charges: Implications for Disability Management Practice, International Journal of Disability Management . 5(4):48-58.
- Melissa Jo Bjelland, Susanne Marie Bruyere, Sarah von Schrader, Andrew J Houtenville, Antonio Ruiz-Quintanilla, Doug Webber. 2009. Age and Disability Employment Discrimination: Occupational Rehabilitation Implications, Journal of Occupational Rehabilitation .
- Susanne Marie Bruyere, Sarah von Schrader, Sara VanLooy. . Employment Strategies for Older Adults. in Handbooks in Health, Work, and Disability: Handbook of Rehabilitation of Older Adults. Izabela Schultz and Robert Gatchel. (Accepted)
- William Erickson, Sara Vanlooy, Sarah von Schrader, Susanne Marie Bruyere. 2018. Disability, Income, and Rural Poverty. in Disability and Vocational Rehabilitation in Rural Settings . Springer, 2018. Harley D., Ysasi N., Bishop M., Fleming A. (eds). (7-41)
- William Erickson, Sarah von Schrader, Susanne Marie Bruyere, Linda Barrington. 2012. Chapter 5 Annotated Data, Statistics, Tables, and Graphs. in Employment and Work. Sage, 2012. S. Bruyere and L. Barrington. (40)
- Thomas P Golden, Sue Swenson, Sarah von Schrader, Susanne Marie Bruyere. 2010. Meaningful Work: Obtaining and Maintaining Employment as Youth with Chronic Health Conditions. in Launching into Adulthood: An Integrated Response to Support Transition of Youth with Chronic Health Conditions and Disabilities . Baltimore MD, United States: Paul H. Brookes Publishing Co, Inc, 2010. Donald Lollar.
- What Works? How Federal Contractors are Implementing Section 503. Presented to YTI/Cornell University. Webcast. 2018.
- Finding and Analyzing Disability and Rehabilitation Data: Tools for locating, accessing, and analyzing survey and administrative data. Presented to Center for Large Data Reserach and Data Sharing (CLDR). Webinar. 2017.
- The patterns and context of ADA discrimination charges filed by individual with psychiatric disabilities. Presented to APA/NIOSH. Minneapolis. 2017.
- Employer and Environmental Factors Associated with Age Discrimination Charge Filings. Presented to EEOC and the EEODATANET. EEOC Headquarters, Washinton DC. 2016.
- Trends and Patters in Disability Discimination Charges across Industries. Presented to LERA. Minneapolis, MN. 2016.
- NIDILRR Employee Grantees Strategies for Outreach to Business: Strategies to Inform the Design of Knowledge Translation. Presented to NARRTC. Washington, DC. 2016.
- Disability Disclosure: What employer need to know. Presented to National Association of Rehabilitation Research and Training Centers. Alexandria VA. 2015.
- Trends and Outcomes of Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) Charges. Chicago IL. 2015.
- Research on Disability-Related Employment Practices. Presented to National Workers' Compensation and Disability Conference. Las Vegas, Nevada. 2014.
- Educational Institutions as Model Employers of People with Disabilities. Presented to Association for Universty Centers on Disability. Washington DC. 2014.
- Transitioning from in-person to on-line programming: learning through an inclusive evaluation. Presented to American Evaluation Association. Denver, CO. 2014.
- Employer practices, workplace climate and the disability disclosure decision: implications for higher education. Presented to The University of Delaware Disability, Disclosure in/and Higher Education Conference. Newark, DE. 2013.
- Disability Disclosure and Self-identification: Benefits, Barriers and Implementable Solutions . Presented to Employer Assistance and Resource Network. webinar. 2013.
- Characteristics of Employers Receiving Charges under the Americans with Disabilities Act . Presented to National Association of Rehabilitation Research and Training Centers. Alexandria VA. 2013.
- Leading Disability and Absence Management Practices for an Aging Workforce. Presented to Disability Management Employer Coalition. Webinar. 2013.
- Characteristics of employers receiving disability discrimination charges . Presented to American Psychological Association Annual Conference. Orlando, FL. 2012.
- Employer Practices: Research Strategies and Findings. Presented to NARRTC. Washington DC. 2012.
- Disability Disclosure in the Workplace: What Employers Should Know . Presented to National Employer Technical Assistance Center/EARN and Employer Practices RRTC . Webinar. 2012.
- Aging workers with Disabilities: Implications for Employers. Presented to National ADA Center. Webinar. 2010.
- Aging workers with Dsiabilities: Implications for Employers. Presented to National ADA Center. Webinar. 2010.