Rocco ScanzaExecutive Director
Since 1999, Rocco M. Scanza has been a member of the faculty of Cornell University's School of Industrial and Labor Relations. In addition to lecturing on alternative dispute resolution, he serves as Executive Director for the Scheinman Institute on Conflict Resolution which focuses on resolving workplace conflict through the use of alternative dispute resolution processes. He has participated in the design and implementation of labor and employment arbitration and mediation programs throughout the United States. Scanza led a team which received a research grant on behalf of Cornell to design and implement an employment mediation program for the United States Department of Labor. He co-authored the DOL Research Evaluation and a similar evaluation project for the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Scanza also directs a similar program on behalf of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Most recently, Scanza designed the new Cornell Labor Arbitration and Labor Relations programs for Cornell ILR.
A former national vice president for the American Arbitration Association, Scanza was a faculty member for both Loyola Law School and Pepperdine University's School of Law. He teaches graduate school courses for the University of Baltimore & the George Meany National Labor College as well as the California State University. An active mediator and arbitrator, Scanza is listed on several state and national panels including the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, the EEOC, and FINRA.
He is a graduate of Queens College in New York City and graduated from Loyola of Los Angeles Law School in 1984. He is an attorney licensed to practice in California.
- Rocco M. Scanza. 2015. Grenig & Scanza On Arbitration: Terminology in Labor Arbitration: What Every New Advocate Needs to Learn, Dispute Resolution Journal, Published by Juris. 70(1).
- Rocco M. Scanza. 2014. Grenig & Scanza On Arbitration: Preparing for the Arbitration Hearing, Dispute Resolution Journal, Published by Juris. 69(4).
- Rocco M. Scanza. 2014. Grenig & Scanza On Arbitration: The Problem with Postponements, Dispute Resolution Journal, published by Juris. 69(3).
- Jay E Grenig, Rocco M. Scanza. 2009. The Case for the Non-Lawyer Employment Arbitrator, Dispute Resolution Journal. May - July(2009):Pages 8-9.
- David Lipsky, Ronald Seeber, Ariel C Avgar, Rocco M. Scanza. 2007. Managing the Politics of Evaluation: Lessons from the Evaluation of ADR Programs. in Proceedings of the Fifty-Ninth Annual Meeting. Champaign, IL: Labor and Employment Relations Association, 2007. (116-129)
- Diversity in the Arbitration Profession: A Status Report. Presented to LERA - Ohio. Cleveland, Ohio. 2011.
- Tear Down These Walls: Making the Case for the Non-Attorney Arbitrator. Presented to Association for Conflict Resolution. Atlanta, GA. 2009.