Jack GoncaloAssociate Professor, Dept. of Organizational Behavior
Jack Goncalo joined the School of Industrial and Labor Relations as an Assistant Professor in August 2004. He received his Ph.D. in Business Administration in 2004, an M.S. in Organizational Behavior in 2001 and a B.A. in Psychology in 1999, all from the University of California at Berkeley . He conducts research on group processes and performance, particularly group creativity and the quality of group decision making. Although most research in Organizational Behavior emphasizes the value of being a "team player" his research suggests that in order to spark creativity, organizations should emphasize individualistic norms and individual achievement. He co-edited the book Research on Managing Groups and Teams: Creativity in Groups (vol. 12). His research has been published in Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Management Science, Psychological Science, Journal of Experimental Social Psychology and Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin. It has also been featured on CNN, Businessweek, The Wall Street Journal, US News & World Report, Fast Company and Fortune.
- Michelle M Duguid, Jack Goncalo. . Squeezed in the Middle: The Middle Status Trade Creativity for Focus, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.
- Jack Goncalo, Verena Krause, Lynne C Vincent. . The Liberating Consequences of Creative Work: How a Creative Outlet Lifts the Physical Burden of Secrecy, Journal of Experimental Social Psychology.
- Jack Goncalo, Jennifer A Chatman, Michelle M Duguid, Jessica A Kennedy. 2015. Creativity from Constraint? How Political Correctness Influences Creativity in Mixed Sex Work Groups, Administrative Science Quarterly. 60(1):1-30.
- Sharon H Kim, Lynne C Vincent, Jack Goncalo. 2013. Outside advantage: Can social rejection fuel creative thought? , Journal of Experimental Psychology: General. 143(3):605-611.
- Lynne C Vincent, Kyle Emich, Jack Goncalo. 2013. Stretching the moral gray zone: Positive affect, moral disengagement and dishonesty., Psychological Science. 24(4):595-599.
- Angela KY Leung, Suntae Kim, Evan Polman, L S Ong, L Qiu, Jack Goncalo, Jeffrey Sanchez-Burks. 2012. Embodied Metaphors and Creative “Acts.” , Psychological Science. 23(5):502-509.
- Jack Goncalo, Michelle M Duguid. 2012. Follow the Crowd in a New Direction: When Conformity Pressure Facilitates Group Creativity (And When It Does Not)., Organizational Behavior & Human Decision Processes. 18(1):14-23.
- Michelle M Duguid, Jack Goncalo. 2012. Living Large: The Powerful Overestimate Their Own Height, Psychological Science. 23(1):36-40.
- Jennifer S Mueller, Shimul Melwani, Jack Goncalo. 2012. The bias against creativity: Why people desire but reject creative ideas. , Psychological Science. 23(1):13-17.
- J S Mueller, Jack Goncalo, Dishan Kamdar. 2011. Recognizing creative leadership: Can creative idea expression negatively relate to perceptions of leadership potential? , Journal of Experimental Social Psychology. 47:494-498.
- Jack Goncalo, F J Flynn, S H Kim. 2010. Are two narcissists better than one?: The link between narcissism, perceived creativity and creative performance, Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin. (36):1484-1495.
- Jack Goncalo, E Polman, C Maslach. 2010. Can confidence come too soon?: Collective efficacy, conflict and group performance over time, Organizational Behavior & Human Decision Processes. (113):13-24.
- Jack Goncalo, Sharon H Kim. 2010. Distributive justice beliefs and group idea generation: Does a belief in equity facilitate productivity?, Journal of Experimental Social Psychology. 46:836-840.
- Jack Goncalo, Michelle M Duguid. 2008. Hidden consequences of the group serving bias: Causal attributions and the quality of group decision making, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes. 107:219-233.
- Pino G Audia, Jack Goncalo. 2007. Past Success and Creativity over Time: A Study of Inventors in the Hard-Disk Drive Industry, Management Science. 53:1-15.
- Jack Goncalo, Barry M Staw. 2006. Individualism-collectivism and group creativity, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes. 100:96-109.
- Charlan J Nemeth, Jack Goncalo. 2005. Creative Collaborations from Afar: The Benefits of Independent Authors, Creativity Research Journal. 17:1-8.
- Jack Goncalo. 2004. Past success and convergent thinking in groups: The role of group-focused attributions , European Journal of Social Psychology. 34:385-395.
- Charlan J Nemeth, Marie Personnaz, Bernard Personnaz, Jack Goncalo. 2004. The liberating role of conflict in group creativity: A study in two countries. , European Journal of Social Psychology. 34:365-374.
- Elizabeth A Mannix, Margaret A Neale, Jack Goncalo. 2009. Research on Managing Groups and Teams: Creativity in Groups. 2009.
- Lynne C Vincent, Jack Goncalo. . License to Steal: How the Creative Identitiy Licenses Dishonesty. in The Ethics of Creativity. Palgrave MacMillan Ltd., Moran, Cropley & Kaufman. (Accepted)
- Jennifer A Chatman, Jack Goncalo, Kennedy A Jessica, Michelle M Duguid. 2012. Political correctness and group composition: A research agenda. . in Research on Managing Groups and Teams. Emerald Group Publishing, LTD, 2012. Margaret Neale and Elizabeth Mannix. (161-184)
- Charlan J. Nemeth, Jack Goncalo. 2011. Rogues and heroes: Finding value in dissent. in Rebels in Groups: Dissent, deviance, difference and defiance. 2011. Jetten, J. and Hornsey, M. .
- Jack Goncalo, V Krause. 2010. Being different or being better?: Disentangling the effects of independence and competition on group creativity. in Advances in Group Processes. Elsevier, 2010. S Thye, E J Lawler.
- Jack Goncalo, Lynne Vincent, Pino G Audia, . 2010. Early Creativity as a Constraint on Future Achievement. in The Dark Side of Creativity. 2010. D. Cropley, J. Kaufman, A. Cropley and M. Runco .
- Lisa Nishii, Jack Goncalo. 2008. Demographic faultlines and creativity in groups. in Research on Managing Groups and Teams. 2008. K.W. Phillips, E.A. Mannix & M. Neale .
- Charlan J Nemeth, Jack Goncalo. 2005. Influence and persuasion in small groups. in Persuasion: Psychological Insights and Perspectives. Allyn and Bacon, 2005. Sharon Shavitt, Timothy C Brock.
- J A Chatman, Jack Goncalo. 2001. People in organizations. in International Encyclopedia of the Social and Behavioral Sciences. New York NY: Elsevier Science Ltd, 2001. Neil J Smelser, Paul B Baltes.
- Sharon H Kim, Lynne C Vincent, Jack Goncalo. 2012. The Outsider’s Advantage: Social Rejection Can Fuel Creative Thought. . Proceedings of the National Academy of Management, 2012.
- Jack Goncalo, Francis J Flynn, Sharon H Kim. 2010. From a Mirage to an Oasis: Narcissism, Perceived Creativity and Creative Performance. . Proceedings of the National Academy of Management, 2010.
- Jack Goncalo, G M Kandathil. 2007. Connecting group success to individual achievement: Cross-cultural attributions for group performance. in Proceedings of the Sixty Sixth Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management. 2007. George T Solomon.
- Jack Goncalo, Evan Polman. 2007. When confidence comes too soon: Collective efficacy, conflict and group performance over time. . Proceedings of the National Academy of Management, 2007.
- Jack Goncalo. 2006. An attributional theory of convergent thinking in groups. in Proceedings of the Sixty-Fifth Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management (CD). 2006. K Mark Weaver.
Selected Works is a service of BePress Publishing that helps readers follow a scholar's most current work. View Selected Works of Jack Goncalo
Honors and Awards
- Best Paper Award, Academy of Management. 2012
- Best Paper Award, Academy of Management, Division of Managerial and Organizational Cognition. 2007
- Best Paper from a Dissertation, Academy of Management, Division of Managerial and Organizational Cognition. 2006
- Finalist, William H. Newman Award for Best Paper Best on a Dissertation, Academy of Management. 2006
- Outstanding Reviewer, Academy of Management, Divsion of Organizational Behavior. 2006