July 1 2005
A Challenge and an Honor
Harry Katz, the Jack Sheinkman Professor of Collective Bargaining and Director of the Institute of Collective Bargaining at the School of Industrial and Labor Relations began his five-year term as Dean of the ILR School on July 1.
Dean Katz agreed to sit down with ILR's Bob Julian in the recording studio to talk about his appointment, the issues and challenges that lie ahead, ILR's students and alumni, the auto industry, and ILR in the larger Cornell community. We invite you to read the interview or listen to some excerpts and get to know our new dean.
- On being appointed dean (mp3) (1:37)
- The key challenge: responding to changes in the world of work (mp3) (1:51)
- Globalization, outreach, collaboration, marketing and delivery of programs (mp3) (2:18)
- Balancing change and the school's original mission (mp3) (3:00)
- Reflections on the auto industry; Good news for ILR (mp3) (4:19)
- ILR's diverse and talented students (mp3) (1:49)
- The importance of ILR's dedicated alumni (mp3) (1:56)
- The advantages of a small school and a large university (mp3) (1:51)
- Complete interview (mp3) (19:22)
Photo: Dean Katz chats with a group of students at an Ice Cream Social held July 5th to meet members of the ILR community.