Strategic Grievance and Arbitration Handling LR408
Not currently offered
This program currently has no scheduled dates.
Through this workshop, labour relations practitioners will develop the knowledge, skills, and confidence necessary to promote productive, efficient, and successful handling of grievances, ensuring that management is gaining maximum benefit from the process. The workshop will cover:
- The do's and dont’s of grievance processing
- Evaluating a grievance in the context of the "big picture"
- Use of conflict resolution tools and influence strategies to achieve management's overall objectives
- The grievance procedure
- Utilizing steps in the grievance procedure
- Managing and adhering to deadlines
- The impact of noncompliance with grievance procedures
- Enforcing compliance with deadlines and processes
- Grievance processing
- Documentation best practices
- Drafting grievance responses
- Conducting the grievance meeting to secure maximum benefit for management
- Strategic grievance handling
- Assessing the strengths and weaknesses of your case
- Assessing the strengths & weaknesses of the union's case
- Identifying the union's motivation for pursuing a grievance
- Evaluating the grievance in the context of the "big picture"
- Operational ramifications and financial implications
- Possible perceptions of management, the union, and rank-and-file
- Grievance settlement
- Generating and evaluating your settlement options
- Negotiating grievance settlements
- Reducing negotiation settlements to writing
- Making the decision to mediate/arbitrate
Intensive case study analysis of complex contractual and discipline issues, with ample opportunity to practice techniques and skills.
Who Will Benefit
Labour relations, human resource, and operations professionals responsible for contract administration and grievance handling.
Effective Discipline and Contract Language and Interpretation are prerequisites for this course. Exceptions made on a case-by-case basis for prior experience or knowledge.
Open enrollment workshops can be taken individually or as part of a certificate in Contract Administration Studies or Collective Bargaining Studies. They are also available as Labour Relations Customized Programs for your organization.