Cornell University

Catherwood Library

Catherwood Library, Ives Hall, 607-255-5435

Question of the Month

From the Catherwood Library reference librarians

May 2007

PLEASE NOTE: The Reference Question of the Month is kept current only during the month for which it was written. Archived questions will not be updated, and over time may contain inaccurate information or broken web links. We provide archived questions as a service, since much of the information will remain accurate and of continued interest to the ILR community.

Question: Where can I find data about unionization of faculty in higher education?

Directory of Faculty Contracts and Bargaining Agents in Institutions of Higher Education
ILR Reference LB2334 D59 (print and CD-ROM)
Compilation and statistical analyses of full-time and part-time faculty and graduate student employee collective bargaining throughout the United States and Canada, broken down by state and by province.

This Directory is published by the National Center for the Study of Collective Bargaining in Higher Education and the Professions (NCSCBHEP)

The NEA Almanac of Higher Education
ILR Reference LB2300 .N33 (print and CD-ROM)
This Almanac includes the "Appendix: NEA Higher Education Bargaining Units"

For current news articles, see the Chronicle of Higher Education: Issues in Depth: Tenure and Labor Relations in Academe

Selected web sites of unions representing faculty in higher education:

AAUP: American Association of University Professors

UUP: United University Professions

AFT: American Federation of Teachers: Higher Education

NEA: National Education Association: Higher Education

— Researched by Suzanne Cohen