Histories of UNITE-HERE and Predecessor Unions
A Selective Scholarly Bibliography
The following is a selective bibliography of scholarly historical studies, books, articles, and dissertations. Excluded are contemporary commentaries and accounts, interviews, and works of fiction, such as novels, movies, and plays. Also excluded are documentaries and all non-textual media. The materials pertain to UNITE! and its predecessor unions:
- Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America (ACWA)
- Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers of America (ACTWA)
- Hotel Employees and Restaurant Employees (HERE)
- International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union (ILGWU)
- Textile Workers Union of America (TWUA)
- United Shoe Workers of America (USWA)
- United Hatters, Cap and Millinery Workers' International Union (UHCMWIU).
Intended as an aid to research on the history of UNITE! and its predecessor unions, this listing is based on the bibliographical work conducted by the Research Department of the Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers of America in 1993. It will be updated regularly to include recent works. Students and scholars who are aware of omitted scholarly works are welcome to write to us, and we will integrate them into the bibliography.