National Labor Relations Board
February 15, 2013
The NLRB: Breaking New Ground?
In December, the NLRB issued several decisions that, critics argue, rewrite the NLRA and decisional law to encourage concerted activity and union institutional interests at the expense of employers and their ability to run their businesses. Others see the decisions as properly protecting the rights of employees and unions, and argue that the decisions are consistent with the NLRA and the realities of the world of the internet and the information age.
Join our distinguished panel to discuss several of the recent decisions (Ritchey, American Baptist, Hispanics United, IronTiger, WKYC-TV, United Nurses, and Latino Express) that have raised questions about the Pearce Board and their implications for workers, unions, and employers.
Our panel of experts includes:
- Sharon Block, Board Member, NLRB
- Karen P. Fernbach, Regional Director, Region 2, NLRB
- Hanah B. Kolko (ILR'82), Member, Meyer, Suozzi, English & Klein, P.C.
- Eric P. Simon (ILR'76), Partner, Jackson Lewis LLP
- Agenda for NLRB Breaking New Ground
- Alan Ritchey, Inc. and Warehouse Union Local 6, International Longshore and Warehouse Union, AFL-CIO, 359 NLRB 40 (2012)
- American Baptist Homes of the West d/b/a Piedmont Gardens and Service Employees International Union, United Healthcare Workers-West, 359 NLRB 46 (2012)
- Chicago Mathematics & Science Academy Charter School, Inc., Employer and Chicago Alliance of Charter Teachers & Staff, IFT, AFT, AFL-CIO, 359 NLRB 41 (2012)
- GC Memo 13-02, Inclusion of Front Pay in Board Settlements (2013)
- Hispanics United of Buffalo, Inc. and Carlos Ortiz, 359 NLRB 37 (2012)
- IronTiger Logistics, Inc. and International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, AFL-CIO, 359 NLRB 13 (2012)
- Latino Express, Inc. and Carol Garcia and Pedro Salgado and International Brotherhood of Teamsters, Local 777, 359 NLRB 44 (2012)
- Noel Canning Div. of Noel Corp. v. NLRb, 194 LRRM 3089 (2013), DC Circuit Court of AppealsUnited Nurses and Allied Professionals (Kent Hospital) and Jeanette Geary, 359 NLRB 42 (2012)
- WKYC-TV, Inc. and National Association of Broadcast Employees and Technicians, Local 42 a/w Communication Workers of America, AFL-CIO, 359 NLRB 30 (2012)