Social Science Experts and Title VII Class Action Lawsuits
December 10, 2010 - New York City
Co-sponsored by: Outten & Golden LLP
In conjunction with Cornell Law School
9:00am INTRODUCTION AND WELCOME
Esta R. Bigler, Esq., Director, Labor & Employment Law Program, Cornell ILR
9:10am INTRODUCTION TO USE OF EXPERTS IN TITLE VII CASES
Adam Klein, Esq., Partner, Outten and Golden: Moderator
9:20am DEMYSTIFYING THE SOCIAL SCIENCE DISCIPLINES
Professor Beth Livingston, Cornell ILR: Psychology (Presentation)
Professor Lisa Nishii, Cornell ILR: Industrial Psychology (Presentation)
Professor Brian Rubineau, Cornell ILR: Sociology (Presentation)
Professor Liz Karns, Esq., Cornell ILR: Statistician (Presentation)
10:00am Questions and Answers
10:15am ANALYZING THE CASES: A MODERATED DISCUSSION BY THE EXPERTS
10:30am Warden State, Department of Prisons (Fact Pattern Link)
10:50am Questions and Answers
11:00am Superfine Foods (Fact Pattern Link)
10:20am Questions and Answers
11:30am Money Minds Financial Services (Fact Pattern Link)
11:40am Questions and Answers
Prof. Lisa Nishii List of Articles
Prof. Brian Rubineau List of Articles
Daubert v. Merrell Dow Pharmaceuticals, Inc., 509 U.S. 579 (1993)
Kumho Tire Co. v. Carmichael, 526 U.S. 137 (1999)
Price Waterhouse v. Hopkins, 490 U.S. 228, 255-56 (1989)
Ricci v. DeStefano, 557 U.S. ___ (2009)
Lewis v. Chicago, 560 U.S. ___ (2010)
Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org for information on obtaining the password for this section.
* Bagenstos, Samuel R., “Implicit Bias, ‘Science,’ and Antidiscrimination Law,” Harvard Law & Policy Review, Vol. 1, 2007, 477-493.
* Greenwald, Anthony G. and Linda Hamilton Krieger, “Implicit Bias: Scientific Foundations,” California Law Review, Vol, 94, No. 4 (Jul. 2006), pp. 945-967.
* Sacco, Joshua M., et al., “An Investigation of Race and Sex Similarity Effects in Interviews: A Multilevel Approach to Relational Demography,” Journal of Applied Psychology, 2003, Vol. 88, No. 5, 852-865.
* Tsui, Anne S. and Charles A. O’Reilly III, “Beyond Simple Demographic Effects: The Importance of Relational Demography in Superior-Subordinate Dyads,” The Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 32, No. 2 (June 1989), pp. 402-423.
* Varma, Arup and Linda K. Stroh, “The Impact of Same-Sex LMX Dyads on Performance Evaluations,” Human Resource Management, Winter 2001, Vol. 40, No. 4, pp. 309-320.