Upcoming Labor Workshops
To be held at:
Cornell Conference Center
16 E. 34th Street, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10016
All classes are held from 9 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.
Employment Law - Register online
Date: April 3-4, 2013
This workshop is designed to introduce students to Anti-discrimination laws (Title VII. ADEA, ADA) OSHA, Wage and Hour laws in the context of representing and organizing workers.
Instructor: Esta R. Bigler, Esq., Cornell ILR's Director of Labor and Employment Law
Supervising Successfully in a Union - Register Online
Date: May 1-2, 2013
Time: 9am - 4:30pm
Cost: $650.00 (organizations sending two or more pay $600 each)
Training Location: American Federation of Teachers, 555 New Jersey Avenue, N.W.
Transitioning from peer to supervisor
Using a framework for resolving supervisory issues
Managing time and stress
Building trust, coaching, staff reporting
Supervising during change and crisis
Heather Berthoud, organization development consultant and educator
Ken Margolies, Worker Institute, former director at CWA, IBT
Assertive Grievance Handling - Register online
Date: May 8-9, 2013
This workshop will help union representatives develop and improve basic skills needed to forcefully and effectively enforce the terms of the collective bargaining agreement in ways that build the union. It is for those newer to handling grievances, those who want a refresher or anyone not familiar with using member mobilization to resolve grievances.
* Overcoming obstacles to resolving grievances
* Improving your investigations
* How arbitrators decide cases
* Preparing to meet with management
* Making assertive presentations at grievance meetings
* Dealing with difficult behavior from supervisors
* Techniques for closing and settling grievances
* Mobilizing members to resolve grievances
Ken Margolies Cornell, worked previously for SEIU, CWA and the Teamsters.
Arthur Matthews, Cornell Adjunct, Mediator, Arbitrator, Consultant
Sandy Pope, President of Local 805 of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters.
Managing & Supervising with Labor's Values
Part One: May 21-22, 2013 - Register online for part one
Part Two: June 12-13, 2013 - Register online for part two
Cost for all four day is $1,300.00 (TO RECEIVE DISCOUNTED PRICE YOU MUST FAX OR MAIL IN YOUR REGISTRATION FORM)
Cost for only part one or part two separately is $750.00
FEES INCLUDE CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST, LUNCH, BREAKS AND MATERIALS.
This four day advanced workshop is open only to leaders and staff directors with significant supervisory/managerial responsibilities
- How managing in a union or social justice organization is unique
- Analyzing and developing a performance management system
- Seeing your role in the results you get and using the power to adjust how you behave to get better outcomes
- Assessing your management style and adjusting it to specific situations and the needs of those you supervise
- Understanding different behavioral styles at work and how to get them working together effectively
- Motivating staff in difficult times
- Giving effective feedback
- Building accountability
Collective Bargaining Techniques for Union Negotiators - Register Online
Date: June 6-7, 2013
This introductory-level workshop is designed to develop the skills of union negotiators who do not have extensive experience in advancing a collective bargaining strategy and in conducting face-to-face negotiations at the bargaining table.
* The bargaining process, timing and procedures;
* Bargaining techniques, strategies and tactics;
* Maximizing effectiveness of the bargaining committee;
* Reading the other side;
* Articulating the members' needs;
* Using the caucus;
* Identifying the employer's pressure points;
* Coordinating table tactics with membership support activities.
Deborah King is Executive Director of the 1199SEIU Training and Employment Funds. She is a trade unionist with more than 30 years of experience in leading public and private sector contract bargaining.
Ken Margolies is a Senior Associate of the Worker Institute at Cornell and a former negotiator for SEIU, AFA and CWA.
To register, or for more information contact Stacy Reynolds firstname.lastname@example.org, 212 340 2809.
* For organizations which send two or more participants, the workshop fee is $500 each. To obtain this discount, please fax or mail the registration form.
Any of our workshops can also be customized for your union and delivered on-site.