Disability & Employment Summer Service Learning Internship in South Africa
Apply by April 5
The ILR's Employment and Disability Institute (EDI) is pleased to announce a summer service learning internship opportunity for two students to spend 3 weeks (July 28-August 18, 2010) working with the QuadPara Association of South Africa (QASA) (www.qasa.co.za).
QASA's work focuses on assisting persons with disabilities, primarily paraplegia and quadriplegia, as they prepare to re-enter the workforce. This service learning internship will provide Cornell students the opportunity to actively engage with QASA's learners at their Digital Village project and:
- Assist them through job coaching and interview skills training;
- Create training materials, appropriate to unemployed persons, that will train them on how to develop and improve their CV’s and job seeking skills to become successful candidates for jobs;
- Acquire an overview of the capacity building and skills development projects and activities within the QASA organization.
Additional Internship Details:
- Students will divide their three weeks between: a QASA facility in Johannesburg, visiting a number of QASA’s self-help centres and the Digital Village in Pretoria; in Durban at the QASA head office learning more about the core philosophy and operations that drive the organization and participating in the Digital Village in Ashley; and spending time in Cape Town at QASA’s Western Cape branch
- EDI will cover the cost of students’ airfare travel and lodging, as well as provide an additional stipend to be used toward food and travel within South Africa during the three weeks.
- Strong interest in disability issues
- Experience interacting with diverse populations and cultures
- Computer proficiency
- Ability and/or experience in training or teaching others
- Interest in employment related issues
- Must possess current passport and functional Visa
*Preference will be given to candidates who are ILR students and/or have personal experience with disability issues.
Please submit a resume/CV and cover letter to Erin Sember, EDI Extension Associate, at either 201 Dolgen Hall or email@example.com by April 5th. The letter of interest should address and elaborate on your current academic emphasis, disability interest, desire/interest in working in South Africa and with QASA, how you see this opportunity contributing to your long term goals, and what experience, skills, and knowledge you plan to contribute to this service learning project, QASA, and their constituents.
Questions can be directed to Erin Sember, 255-6690. To read more about previous interns’ experience in South Africa, please visit: http://www.ilr.cornell.edu/international/serviceLearning/reports/summer2008.html