January 31 2011
International Experience Grants
Call for Proposals!
Summer 2011 Activity
Eligible Students: ILR Undergraduate and Graduate Students
Amount: Awards typically range from $500 to $2,000 (maximum)*
Application Deadline: Thurs, March 10, 2011, by 5:00 pm.
ILR International Programs invites students to apply for a limited number of travel grants aimed at supporting ILR-related activities abroad. Please note that all travel must be completed while still registered as a full-time student. These small grants are intended to subsidize a student's budget and should not be seen as the exclusive source of financing.
Awards will be to individual students. Group projects are not funded. If more than one student applies for the same project, applications must be separate and will be decided on independently.
Funding will be awarded on a competitive basis to support activities that enhance your ILR education through an international experience, such as:
- international volunteer work with a group or organization engaged in activities broadly related to ILR's mission;
- the international fieldwork component of a research project;
- participatory role at an ILR-related global conference;
- language immersion program where student has already undertaken classroom study.
Grants are not available for ILR Credit Internships, Cornell Abroad, ILR Exchange, classroom tuition, or for travel to a student's home country.
A complete application will include:
- An Application Form (pdf form). What you need to do with this document:
(a) fill out completely,
(b) proceed to the printing option on your computer,
(c) in the printer list choose to make a pdf,
(d)and then save the newly created pdf document to your computer.
- A detailed description of the proposed activity, including an overview of how it will enhance or supplement an ILR education, your learning objectives/goals; expected outcome(s);
- A budget indicating the amount and proposed use of funds (max: $2,000);
- A letter from the host organization indicating willingness to accept the student for the proposed activity, or from your project facilitator if doing honors thesis research;
- A letter of recommendation from an ILR faculty member. This letter should address the specific merits of your proposal, expected outcomes, and budget. Allow time for faculty to review your proposal well in advance of the deadline. The letter can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org anytime before the deadline.
The complete proposal application should be sent to email@example.com by the grant deadline.
Please include in the subject line:
“ILR International Grant Proposal, Summer 2011”
Proposals will be reviewed by the ILR International Programs Faculty Committee. Awards will be made based on the depth and richness of the proposed activity and on relevancy to an ILR education. Incomplete applications, or those submitted after the deadline, will not be considered.
Students will be required to share a reflective summary (1-2 pages) of their project and document their experiences through photos, blogs, video clips and/or stories. Student documentaries will be posted on the ILR International website.
Contact: For questions regarding the application process or a proposal topic, please contact Donna Ramil, firstname.lastname@example.org, Associate Director, ILR International Programs.
* Awards may be considered taxable income.
Donna M. Ramil
Associate Director of International Programs and Student Services in ILR 117 Ives Hall
OSS in 101 Ives Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853
tel: (607) 254-7255