Are You Ready to Apply?
Make sure you've reviewed and understand the admissions requirements before you start the application process. The process differs depending on the program for which you wish to apply. Applicants for the MILR/MBA program and Masters of Professional Study (MPS) in New York City have different requirements and instructions, which are explained below.
To complete the application process, ALL applicants for the MILR, MILR/MBA, MS/PhD and MPS Ithaca degrees will need to submit the following pieces of information online in the CollegeNet application system:
- Transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended.
- 2 letters of recommendation from faculty members acquainted with your academic work. Academic references are preferred but professional recommendations will be accepted.
- Request GRE or GMAT and TOEFL scores be submitted by the Testing Service to Cornell. (Use institution codes 2098 for TOEFL and GRE scores and 2144 for GMAT scores). The department code for ILR is 4204.
Additional Degree Requirements
The following degree programs have specific requirements in addition to the requirements above. These requirements are outlined below.
The Master of Industrial and Labor Relations (MILR)
- Statement of purpose
1-Year MILR (accelerated MILR)
- Have completed a BS ILR degree, JD or MBA from a U.S. institution
- Note: Completion of a JD or MBA does not guarantee admission into the 1-year program
- Applicants must apply separately to the ILR School for the MILR program and to the Johnson School for the MBA program. Each program will evaluate your application and give you an admission decision separately.
- If you are admitted to one program but not the other, you may attend the program to which you were admitted as a regular student.
- Students interested in this option should visit the Johnson School's site for details about their application process
- A writing sample is strongly encouraged
- Statement of purpose
- PhD only applicants need to submit a copy of their master's thesis
Note: Please do NOT send any application items, such as resumes, transcripts, etc., through regular mail because we cannot include them in your application for the committee. ALL items must be submitted/uploaded through the online application system.
Specific Degree Requirements
The following degree programs have specific requirements different from the requirements above. These requirements are outlined below.
The Master of Professional Studies (MPS) in New York City
- Students interested in the MPS New York City Program should review the program requirement and follow the admissions procedure on the MPS/NYC website.