Guidelines for International Applicants

Before reading this ILR-specific information for international students, it may be helpful to first review the general international student information at the Undergraduate Admissions Office (UAO) website.

Academic qualifications

International students applying to Cornell should have completed a strong university preparatory curriculum, including English and Mathematics.

Please review the UAO International Students site for information on TOEFL requirements. To be certain that Cornell receives your test scores, the name you use for the test registration must match exactly the name used on your passport and on your admissions application. Request that the testing agencies send your scores directly to Cornell’s Undergraduate Admissions Application Center; scores that appear on secondary-school transcripts are not considered official.

You apply to Cornell as a first-year applicant if you will complete secondary school during the current academic year. If you already have the equivalent of a United States bachelor’s degree, you should apply directly to a graduate program, as you are not eligible to apply for a second bachelor’s degree. 

International financial aid availability

Cornell University practices need-aware international admissions and provides financial aid to admitted international students and admitted undocumented students without DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival) status who apply for financial aid and have demonstrated financial need. Please see Cornell University's Financial Aid site for more information on international aid.

U.S. citizens living abroad

United States citizens living abroad receive the same financial aid as United States citizens living in the U.S.

Resources for international students

The International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) is the campus center for international students. ISSO can advise you about immigration regulations and forms and can refer you to various campus services for counseling, financial matters, medical care, and housing.

If you have specific questions about applying, you can write to our international mailbox at