Cornell University

Undergraduate Admissions

Advancing the world of work

Guidelines for International Applicants

Before reading this ILR-specific information for international students, it may be helpful to first review the general international student information at the Undergraduate Admissions Office website:

Academic qualifications

International students applying to Cornell should have completed a strong university preparatory curriculum, including English and Mathematics.

If you are an international student, and English is not your first language, you are required to submit the results of either the TOEFL or the IELTS. Cornell’s recommended minimum TOEFL score is 100 (internet-based), or 600 (paper-based), and the recommended minimum IELTS score is 7.

We will waive the TOEFL and/or IELTS requirement for students who have achieved a score of 670 or higher on the Critical Reading section of the SAT Reasoning Test. We will also waive the requirement for students who have been attending school in the U.S. (or other nations where English is the primary language spoken) for at least 4 years.

To be certain that Cornell receives your test scores, the name you use for the test registration must match exactly the name used on your passport and on your admissions application.

Request that the testing agencies send your scores directly to Cornell’s Undergraduate Admissions Application Center; scores that appear on secondary-school transcripts are not considered official.

About your status

You apply to Cornell as a freshman if you will complete secondary school during the current academic year. If you already have the equivalent of a United States bachelor’s degree, you should apply directly to a graduate program, as you are not eligible to apply for a second bachelor’s degree.

International financial aid availability

Cornell University provides financial aid on a limited basis to students who are not citizens, or eligible non-citizens, of the United States. All financial aid decisions are determined after a student is admitted. Please see the university Financial Aid site for more information on international aid:

U.S. citizens living abroad

United States citizens living abroad receive the same financial aid as United States citizens living in the U.S.

Resources for international students

The International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) is the campus center for international students. ISSO can advise you about immigration regulations and forms and can refer you to various campus services for counseling, financial matters, medical care, and housing. See

If you have specific questions about applying, you can write to our international mailbox at