University of New South Wales, Australia
ILR School and the University of New South Wales Exchange (UNSW)
UNSW is a world-class research university with a reputation for being the leading international university in Australia. It manages a large and active exchange program with over 190 different student exchange opportunities in 32 countries, and it is ranked within the top 50 universities in the world according to the 2015/2016 QS World University Rankings.
UNSW is located in Sydney, which is Australia’s largest city and business capital, and it is considered one of the world's most highly rated cities in terms of quality of life.
Fall, Spring, or Academic Year
Courses and Credits
Students have the option to take courses across various university departments.
- Students must enroll in four full-time courses.
- Students can earn up to 15 ILR elective credits per semester.
- Courses have to be approved for ILR elective credit.
- Students will receive credit for academic coursework completed abroad that is equivalent to a Cornell grade of "C."
- Students cannot take courses as Pass/Fail.
- All courses and grades will appear on the Cornell transcript in the same format as they are recorded on the original transcript generated by the host institution.
- Grades are not calculated in the overall GPA.
To view UNSW's course offerings, refer to UNSW's Handbook, and click on Courses by Subject Area. Many ILR-related courses can be found under "Management" and "Commerce." Click on "See Class Timetable" to find out when a particular course is offered.
Tuition and Other Costs
The UNSW Exchange Program is tuition-neutral (students pay regular tuition to the ILR School). Financial aid would apply. If you are currently receiving financial aid, your package would be adjusted based on your determined level of need and the projected costs of the program.
ILR exchange students are responsible for mandatory Australian student medical insurance, passport, visa, airfare, room and board, transportation, fees related to courses, books, and personal expenses. Students can apply for the Grindlinger Award for study in Australia (see application details below) for up to $2500 to help cover travel costs.
Who Should Apply?
ILR undergraduate students interested in expanding their academic knowledge of Australia may apply. In addition, ILR undergraduate students must
- have junior or senior standing;
- have all ILR core requirements completed;
- be in good standing with the ILR School and the University; and
- have a 3.0 GPA by the time of departure.
Applying for the Grindlinger Award
Fall 2016 Application Deadline: October 15th, 2016
ILR students studying in Australia can apply for the Grindlinger Award for up to $2500 to help cover travel costs. Students can only apply once in Australia, and funds are only disbursed after successful completion of courses, submission of a final report to the donors, and receipt of transcripts.
View details about the application process here: Grindlinger Award (PDF, 90 KB)