Fall 2018 Calendar of Events
We plan to follow the schedule and procedures listed below in handling applications for Fall 2018 internships.
- Thursday, January 25th - Student Experience Team Meet and Greet - 3:30-4:30pm, 2nd Floor Lobby, Ives Hall
- Tuesday, January 30th- Student Credit Internship Information Meeting - 4:30pm, 217 Ives Hall
- Wednesday, January 31st - Friday, February 16th - Arrange to meet with Brigid Beachler to discuss questions, plans, etc. Sign-up sheet located on bulletin board outside of 119 Ives Hall
- Friday, February 9th - Mock interview Marathon, ILR Career Services, 9am-4:30pm, 201 Ives Hall
- Friday, February 23rd - Express Resume Review: Walk in Resume Critiques, ILR Career Services. Drop by for on the spot resume reviews by Career Services professionals and peer advisors. 9am-4:30pm, 201 Ives Hall
- Monday, February 26th - Friday, March 2nd -Students make site selections and file requests by email listing 5 or more sites they are interested in applying for with the Managing Director Brigid Beachler. Please email Brigid Beachler at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, March 2nd. Students can review sponsor lists on computers in 119 Ives Hall or online via SharePoint. All revised applications, cover letters and supplemental materials must also be submitted on time.
- Friday, March 2nd - Social Impact Career Forum - This forum will showcase careers focused on the public good. We will welcome alumni and representatives hailing from government, NGOs, law, policy, labor, think tanks, international rights, non-profits and social justice and advocacy organizations. ILR Career Services, King-Shaw Hall.
- Friday, March 2nd - US State Department Online Applications Due. Students who would like to apply for a Fall 2018 credit internship with the US State Department, MUST meet with Brigid Beachler before completing the online application to receive the list of State Department offices that will qualify for credit. Failure to apply for appropriate offices could mean that a student will not be approved for credit. Online applications can be found at http://careers.state.gov/intern/student-internships
- Monday, March 5th - Applications of students who have been approved will be forwarded to internship site sponsors with a request that they notify us within six weeks regarding their selections of students for available assignments.
- Tuesday, March 6th - Deadline for Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship - The US Department of State's Benjamin A Gilman international scholarship is a grant program that enables students of limited financial means to study or intern abroad, thereby gaining skills critical to our national security and economic competitiveness. The Gilman Scholarship Program broadens the student population that studies and interns abroad by supporting undergraduates who might not otherwise participate due to financial constraints. The program aims to encourage students to study and intern in a diverse array of countries and world regions. To apply, please find the application at: www.gilmanscholarship.org
- Wednesday, March 7th - Orientation for admitted students - 4:30pm, 116 Ives Hall. We will discuss the recruitment and interview process, professional etiquette and programmatic questions.
- Thursday, March 15th -Annual Social Justice Career Fair: The social Justice Career Fair brings representatives from labor unions and other advocacy organizaitons to campus each spring. The Fair is held in conjunction with the ILR School's celebration of Union Days. 2nd FL lobbies, 1-4pm, Ives Hall.
- Wednesday, March 21st - Intern Mix & Mingle Join former ILR Credit Interns for pizza & wings to discuss the details of the internship program. Ask questions, get advice on specific internships, and hear more about the experience of former interns, 5pm, 116 Ives Hall.
- Friday, May 11th - Mandatory Orientation Session for Fall 2018 interns - 1pm, 116 Ives Hall. Lunch will be provided.
The schedule established requires that students interested in internships for Fall 2018 submit applications and make choices about internship sites of interest to them early in the semester. This process will leave the last half of the semester to complete the student-site matching process and the interviews and visits often necessary to final decisions regarding placements.
Students who apply on schedule and select five sites will still be eligible to apply for any new internships offered after March 2nd provided they have not already accepted an existing intern position. Announcements of new internship opportunities will be posted on the internship Bulletin Board outside of 119 Ives Hall and on the internship website at: www.ilr.cornell.edu/creditinternships.
The Catherwood Library has put together several new options for library access for off-campus ILR credit interns. More information can be found here.
Related ILR & Cornell Sites